Saturday, September 27, 2008

Family - #410 - #13 – Not interested, not motivated...

How to interest, or, to motivate someone to try a new idea, a new approach

I’m at a loss when someone is “simply not interested”, too “busy”, not motivated to understand; or, to find a “Successful Alternative”
How do you interest someone?
How do you motivate someone?
How do you make yourself “care”?
Suppose someone is having a “hard time”, or, is expressing a negative reaction? Am I supposed to disregard the obvious and “pile in”?

These questions have to do with “teens”, “schools”, “marriages”, “politics” and almost anything else!
Ah! But we have choices!! … Some choices you may not like, but they are choices!

For instance….
Suppose I ignore the obvious reactions and simply turn my back. I make no attempt to influence this present state of affairs. I may just leave the situation “as is” and go on about something I can do something about…. But, it is certainly an option!

Suppose I attempt to find a mutual set of facts or examples that attempt to show a different course of action. And suppose I am still left with that feeling that the party involved is still not motivated to understand or even acknowledge my “attempt”? What then? Do I then simply “turn my back” and leave?
….. But, it is certainly an option!

Suppose I care about the person or the issue? What then? I want to make a contribution. I want, at the very least, to express my ideas. Do I measure my personal success by the reactions of the other party? If I do, I am putting my life in another’s hands! If my personal reaction is based on the reaction of another, I am truly in jeopardy!! ….. But, it is certainly an option!

But what to do……

If you want to make a contribution, simply make it!!
Don’t look for agreement, change, or even participation. Just do the best “contributing” you can do, and satisfy yourself with a “job well done”! Your repayment is the self-analysis that you did the best you could do; and, go about your business.
Even if it is your own blood and kin… try your best and then “go about your business”!

What’s “your” successful alternative?

You may decide that you have enough energy and desire to “try again”. Just go do it!!! But remember that your satisfaction must come from the personal self-realization that you tried to do your best!

You cannot judge yourself and your success by the reaction of others!
If you are able to influence, great!! … But if you did your best and nothing….. so be it!
Does this bode well for our schools, our governmental policies, and our own peace and comfort?
I’m not so sure… But “what’s the successful alternative?” ……
Continuing to complain, feeling depressed and helpless certainly is not too constructive.

So I conclude with the simple thought of “the ol’ college try”! At least try to make your best contribution.

Try to influence the best way you know how. But don’t measure your success from the reactions of others.
It’s a way of thinking that has to be “learned”.
It’s a way that has to be continually practiced and relearned.
It’s a way of personal “survival”! …. (Just think about it. After all “What’s the successful alternative?”)

No comments: